1. artist's own hand
2. object from home
3. artist's own shoe or foot
4. portrait of friend
5. self portrait
Age Group: 4th
- 6th grade
(younger grades may not be as adept with hand control)
1. Practice recall of observations.
2. Understand that seeing involves perception of light, color, position and texture under varying conditions.
4. Identify qualities in visual work, including line, color, shape, intensity, value, texture, composition and contrast.
5. Accept the range of special interest and abilities of their peers.
Motivation: show slides of Picasso, Matisse, and other artists who drew contour drawings.
1. Drawing paper. 11 x 14 or larger is best.
2. Pens or pencils. No erasers for this.
3. Ask students to each bring an object from home with interesting shapes
4. Small standing mirrors for students
Procedure: Click Here for description
Evaluation: Have students discuss in groups difficulties and struggles of contour drawing. Have students discuss in groups things they did not notice before.